MAF conversion and tuning for the Ford 2.3 turbo
load = 1000 * [mass air flow (#/min)] / [engine speed * 2]
What is needed?
- MAF meter - OEM Ford preferred and supported on this page.
- MAF sensor connector, relay, wire and the ability to decipher a wiring diagram.
- EEC Tuner, TwEECer, J3 adapter (Stokes, Moates, etc.) and the ability to program to it.
- Wide-band O2 sensor and the ability to data log air-fuel ratio (AFR) and MAF voltage simultaneously.
- Laptop or PC with MS Excel and the ability to group and average data to tune the meter to your application.
If you don't have ALL of the above items, you will find it very difficult to complete a successful conversion.
MAF meter - Ford produced aluminum, 4-wire meter ranging in size from 55mm to 80mm. Ford also produced a copy of the aluminum 4-wire meter in plastic usually found in the 70mm and 80mm size and found connected directly to the air box. The next generation
Mounting your MAF meter - coming soon
EEC-IV bin files converted to MAF - found at http://rothfam.com/maf/
Using the Moates F3 adapter and Jaybird - see a quick tutorial
Tuning - See my tuning procedure here
Changes for large injectors - L series
Shift light - Info here
Boost controller - use the EEC to control a high/low boost setting based on speed, load and throttle position. Info here
Noise suppressors for MAF - sourced from the DIS on a Ranger or Mustang
Items to study