One way to get 400+ horsepower from a 2.3L Turbo Ford:
by Carl Morris and Joe Morgan
Intake - K&N air filter Mounted directly to air meter Vane Air Meter Stock SVO 3" (E4ZZ-12B529-A) Throttle Body Stock Intake Manifold 86 style, ported lower half, gutted upper half
Head - Cast Iron Port matched to intake, big valves, good valve job Esslinger hardware
Cam - Engle 55 Installed with stock pulley
Exhaust - Manifold Ported stock ("E6SE" casting) Pipe 3" to rear of car + Borla muffler
Block - Cast Iron Head and Main bearing studs O-ringed
Pistons - Stock Ford Modified for floating pins 0.0045" skirt clearance Back-cut upper ringland
Rings - Stock Ford Total Seal second ring
Bearings- Ford 0.002" rod/main
Rods - Crower Sportsman Stock length
Misc. - Nitrous 90hp dry-manifold type for 5.0 Adds fuel by closing stock return line to increase pressure.
- Fuel System Stock 86 SVO computer ("PE") plus chip to raise rev limiter to 7K Stock 35lb/hr injectors Two full-size Ford truck pumps (E7TF-AA) in series, with 3/8" factory plastic lines and an F1SZ-9155-A filter. Stock pulse damper retained. Ported Ranger fuel rail.
- Turbo "S" trim T04 compresser with a dynamic seal, and an 0.82 A/R bolt on Turbonetics exhaust housing. Intake side is a T4, exhaust side is a T3 with stock turbine wheel.
- Intercooler Aftermarket Garret designed for a Toyota truck, with modified tanks and 2" inlet and outlet.
- Boost Control Simple "fish-tank" style bleeder valve, courtesy of Superchips. Set to 16-17 psi.
- Ignition Stock TFI with an MSD 6. Motorcraft wires and stock 10 degree timing.
AWSF32C spark plugs gapped at 0.030"
- Head Gasket Felpro
One way to run 10's with 400+hp 2.3L Turbo Ford:
1. Buy a Pinto (2500lb w/mild steel rollbar and subframe connectors, without driver), and put this motor in it ;-)
2. C4 automatic transmission, stock ("F29") torque convertor.
3. 4.62:1 gears and a locking differential in a stock 8" Pinto rearend.
4. Use the N2O system right off the line to eliminate lag.
5. Use very sticky tires for consistent low 1.5xx 60' times.
6. SPA-1 Koni shocks, and home-built leaf springs with Global West bushings.
|Back home||Copyright 1998, CAR Computing|